Monday, August 31, 2015

Blog Post 1

     Computers have been revolutionizing the world since their introduction to society. To withhold such an important tool from a classroom would be a disservice to students everywhere. When students use computers in the classroom, they have access to an instant catalogue of nearly every sort of information available in this world. Beyond search engines, computers allow students to have a place where they can communicate with other people through email, writing documents, and even utilizing social media as an educational tool. Through the means of meeting IFS standards, students are given the opportunity to learn the ins and outs of technology in a secure place. Teachers can use computers in the classroom to create lesson plans, find ideas on how to better present a topic to students, and find reputable sources for any information they pass along to their students. Computer technology allows teachers to connect with students in a previously unfathomable way. Some critical concerns I have with the integration of computers into the classroom is the age at which students are exposed to the technology. If children are taught to rely solely on computers, motor skills, hand writing, and communication skills could be at risk. Beyond the cognitive risks involved with exposing children to technology at too early of an age, explicit content could make its way onto the screen of an innocent child's computer. Chapters one and two of the text center on how computers in the classroom are an important way to progress the institution of education. Though I strongly agree that technology is an important tool that must stay present in the modern education system, I think that the extent of the incorporation of technology should be limited to an age appropriate extent. 
     Though I am not certain I am going into the educational field, I would strive to become as technologically advanced as possible should I become a teacher. One of the most important ways I find that tech can be incorporated into a classroom is through the use of social media.  The use of social media in the classroom provides a way for students to stay connected with their students and peers in a non-threatening way. Whether live-tweeting a class discussion, sharing notes on a blog, or even planning a classroom event on Facebook, social media in a classroom environment provides a way for everyone's voice to have an equal weight in a discussion. Providing students with interesting videos related to a topic make learning more enjoyable, so that would be another medium for me to expose my potential students to technology in a fun and engaging way. To make my life easier, I would use a computer to plan my lessons, presentations, and make the burden of meticulously organizing as simple as pressing a few keys. In our class, I hope to learn new skills with word processors, email tools, and organizational programs to make my professional career easier. 
     I agree with the label "digital native" to a certain extent. I think that it is important to recognize that different generations have different exposure to technology, but it should not be used as an umbrella term to describe the entirety of the younger generations. Different socioeconomic factors can hinder certain people's exposure to technology, and it would be unfair to label someone a "digital native" if they had not had the advantages of growing up with technology. To me, a digital native is simply someone who cannot remember a time in their lives when modern technology was not influential. As a recent high school graduate, I saw differences in the way that my teachers handles technology. I found that their status as "digital natives" and "digital immigrants" did not necessarily affect their fluidity with technology. I had young teachers who struggled to properly operate an iPad, while I had older teachers who despite their status as a "digital immigrant" could use any form of technology with ease. I think individual digital skill depends more on a person's individual experience with technology rather than the time in their life when they were exposed to said technology. The teachers who struggled with technology did not have an extreme impact on my learning experience, as there was always a tech-savy student to correct any issues the teacher was having. I hope there are relatively few differences between the way I use technology and the way my potential students will use technology. Though they will likely have had more exposure to technology than me, I will work hard to ensure that I stay up to date with my endeavors in technology. 

1 comment:

  1. Great work, Baylee! I really enjoyed reading your post. You noted some very important pros and cons to technology in the classroom. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete