Monday, November 2, 2015

Blog Post 8

     Chapter 12 offered a look into the use of many tools that will shape the future of education. The tool that I found held the most potential for change is 3D printing. I think this technology is so important because it opens the door for all types of learners to have a chance to interact with models of what they are learning. In a school with an engineering program, 3D printers can give students the opportunity to make better machines as they develop their interests in engineering. For blind or visually impaired students, 3D printing creates interactive models that allow those students to quite literally get a "feel" for what they are learning. For history lessons, 3D printing would give students a hands-on opportunity to see the artifacts of the past and hold them. This concrete object would make the learning process more memorable and interactive. 3D printing offers so many opportunities for students to learn in better and more interactive ways. Beyond the general advantages offered by 3D printing, it is a technology that can allow students with special needs and disabilities to have a better learning experience.
     One advancement that I think could be really useful for education in the future is the incorporation of AutoCad software into more classrooms. AutoCad allows students to dip their toes into the waters of engineering, as it is a programing tool that lets its users build 2D and 3D models. Though it may not be the most practical tool for every day learning, having experience with AutoCad could change the lives of students as they learn what they are passionate about. Some of my friends who experimented with AutoCad decided to major in engineering because of this software. Others decided not to go into the engineering field because they did not enjoy working with AutoCad. Despite the outcomes, I think it was an important learning experience for both groups of people. As school systems are making a push to get students involved with more STEM related subjects, I think this tool would be a great building block for students to have some of their first interactions with computer coding with. I am not familiar with the program at all, but I wish I would have been introduced to it at an earlier age. It is this longing for experience that makes me think AutoCad would be a great "future technology" to introduce to students. Information on AutoCad and how to download it can be found here.
     Now that I've moved to FSU, I'm definitely on the more technologically advanced side of the digital divide. When I was at home, I did not have wifi because of the rural area I lived in. This is not to say that I did not have internet access, I did. It was just more of a hassle to use the personal hotspot on my phone to use my laptop than it is now, especially due to the insanely high cost of data. Now that I have unlimited access to wifi and data, I know that I fall on the opposite side of the spectrum than I was previously. I have to say, since this change has occurred my life has gotten much easier. The digital divide will affect my classroom poorly as I have to teach elementary skills to the children who need it. For students who live on the more privileged side of the digital divide, these skills will be boring. The children who need these skills may feel a pressure to not say anything when they are confused about these skills out of embarrassment. In order to address this issue, I plan to teach technology basics in the most exciting way possible. By turning new information into a game, I can ensure that all of my students are stimulated throughout my lessons. When assigning homework, I would always take into account the digital divide. I would always ensure that every student had the means to do the assignment I gave them before I made it a grade. Though I wish all students had the same opportunity, I know the digital divide will affect my classroom in the future. In regards to this situation, I will do everything in my power to equalize the opportunity for success among students.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post, Baylee! With the popularity of STEM in schools, I think AutoCad will be incorporated more in the future. Great work!

    ReplyDelete